Green Twitter Photo - Supporting Iran or Unquestioning Submission?

1:25 PM

(2) Comments


I've noticed that people on Twitter are putting a green tint on their profile photos, which is supposed to be in support of the people protesting the elections in Iran.

It really hadn't bothered me until I saw John Mayer's photo. In the photo lil' Johnny is now green and has this written over the photo, "I gotta be honest with you, I don't understand the situation as well as I'd like to." John Mayer (@johncmayer) is my favorite Twitterer, I actually joined Twitter just so I could follow him. He is clever and silly at the same time, but his green photo really got to me.

What does a green photo actually mean? Does it mean that you support the Iranian people? Does it mean that you are part of a "revolution" or protest? No - it doesn't mean any of this. For me it means that people are falling into a large (and powerful) groupthink situation. Many, many people on Twitter now have their green photos displayed proud - people feel like they are in the know. Like look, see, I do pay attention to world politics and news, I do know what's going on, and I do have an opinion. The problem is that this opinion isn't yours. And John Mayer actually wrote that he does not understand what is going on there, yet still is showing his support - so really what are you supporting then? It makes no sense.

The green photo fad is just another way to get people to think alike. Instead of wearing rose colored glasses people are putting on green ones. The media tells you what to believe, you believe it, without question, then you go and make yourself green in support of what the media tells you to support - without question. How many people can even point to Iran on a map, let alone know where Tehran is? (Hell some people don't even know that this is a city!)

And why people are so concerned with Iran? I will tell you why - because the government wants you to care. Why aren't there any colored photos protesting the situation in Darfur - which has been spiraling out of control? Over 500,000 people have died in Darfur, aid groups have been kicked out, and yet I can guarantee that a majority of people who read this post don't even know that Darfur is in Sudan, and even more people won't know where Sudan is, or even what continent is it on (ahem, Sarah Palin, ahem)!

So what does it come down to? Think about it. The US is in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, not to mention the military bases in other surrounding countries. And what area is right in the middle - yup that would be Iran. Why is the industrialized world so interested in this area? OIL

That is the simplest answer out there. The US wants there to be turmoil in that area because it helps our goals - countries are easier to destroy from within rather than from without. This is the same reason why nobody has colored photos for Darfur (and what about Burma, Sri Lanka, Somalia) because these areas have no oil. This is not just a coincidence.

It is time to remove yourself from the media and ask yourself some serious questions. Questions like, do I really want to fall into groupthink? Do I want to label myself with a photo for all to see, even when I don't understand the history or context of what it represents?

So Mr. Mayer, I would like to thank you for pointing out to me that most people who have a green photo have no idea whats going on, you just weren't afraid to say it out loud. But please, John, remove the green from your smiling photo. I listen to your music and follow you because of your creativity, not because you think like everyone else - and I would hate for you to head down that slippery slope.

PS feel free to follow me: @WavesDream

2 Responses to "Green Twitter Photo - Supporting Iran or Unquestioning Submission?"

Zed said :
June 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM
Personally I put my photo up because I am showing my support to those who are being beaten by police simply for trying to protest. It doesn't mean I know exactly what is going on but it's my way of saying "What you are going through sucks and I wish I could help." Sort of like when there were 4 killed in Ohio at Kent State and we wore black armbands.
playadancer said :
June 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Your perception is that it's a "groupthink" situation, but you do not understand Persian culture. My best friend's family is Persian and she has cousins in Iran who are protesting. In Persian culture this means they are also my family and therefore both of us as well as many others show our support because of family or our own personal reasons. Others are showing support because they believe in democracy. Surely there are some who only follow, but it is not appropriate for to assume that you understand the motivations of every single person out there showing support for Iranians.

Post a Comment