Prop 8 Decision: Supreme Court Upholds Prop 8, bans same sex marriage

10:24 AM

(0) Comments


It is a sad sad day for California today. The Supreme Court today announced its decision to uphold Proposition 8 which bans same sex marriage.

I am actually surprised by the outcome. California has always been a very forward thinking state, and I really believed that after all of the momentum moving towards equality for the gay community Prop 8 would have been overturned.

The really sad part is that California had a chance to make a statement to the nation and the world about its acceptance, and we chose not to. The thing that pisses me off though is that the majority of the funding money to ban same sex marriage came from out of state (namely from the Mormon state of Utah).

Another thing that really bothers me is that gay marriage is a HUGE industry. Think of all of the florists, bakeries, photographers, dress designers, wedding planners, invitation makers, and the like - think of the huge chunk of money they are mission out on!! In times of economic downturn we should be looking for a boost anywhere we can.

So to all of my friends out there, I am sorry my state has labeled you a second class citizen. Now when I go protest this outcome and I walk by a gay man, I will walk by knowing that I have more rights than him - and that really makes me sad.

0 Responses to "Prop 8 Decision: Supreme Court Upholds Prop 8, bans same sex marriage"

Post a Comment